Monday, April 1, 2013

The Easter Egg Bags

So, I get these ideas in my head of all the things that I want to make for my kids.  Usually, these ideas come to be right before I will need them.  The awesome birthday cake the night before the part, the best Halloween costume ever on October 30th, you get the idea.  These bags were no different.  I got the idea about 4 days before Easter: "Hey, I should make the boys these cool egg hunt bags with their names on them.  This way there will be no fighting over whose bag it whose."  AND by making something reusable I will be saving money in the long run.

So, into the car and off to JoAnn's I go.  I need 3 yards of fabric, 3 yards of interfacing, and 1 pack of letters.  **Note: Not that I have measured anything or drawn any form of pattern, I just figure this will work.  I pick up my stuff, manage to confuse the cashier because the coupon that was sent to my phone wouldn't scan which resulted in 50% off my entire order not just one item (score!!), and went on my merry way.

Fast forward until after the crazy people boys are in bed.  Bag assembly begins.  I decide when looking at the size that I was thinking about is going to lead to a skinny long bag that maybe I could measure a bag that I like the size of and work from that.  I'm the first to admit I'm not always the brightest crayon in the box.  I decide on a bag that is 11 in x 17 in., so I begin cutting.  I figure I'm going to need 12 rectangles to put this together since I will have to sew the interfacing in each side of the bag. Anyone with math skills can figure out at this point that I don't have enough fabric to make 3 bags.  So, I make one. No complications really outside of the broken sewing machine needle.  Pretty straight forward once I got down exactly how I wanted to assemble it, it went very quickly.  The whole process took me the length of the movie that that Rob & Evan were watching.  The next two were a breeze once I made my 2nd trip to JoAnn's for more fabric and more interfacing.

Here is the finished product:

Not to shabby eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment